Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One Drops On Digital This October

Advertisement

Mission: Impossible, starring Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt and the IMF, will make its small-screen premiere on digital. To fight The Entity, Ethan Hunt and the IMF will appear on television. In 566 theaters nationwide, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One is still showing. And it earned just over $560,000 domestically on the previous weekend, placing it at No. 16. Mission: Impossible 7 won’t be available for home viewing for much longer, though, for Tom Cruise fans. Yes, the movie from filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie will soon be available online.

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One is slated to drop on digital Tuesday, October 10 (per DVDs Release Dates). Fans of the spy franchise can preorder the film on all of the usual suspects (Amazon Prime Video, iTunes, Vudu, YouTube) for as low as $19.99 in UHD. Preorders are also open for the Mission: Impossible 7 Blu-ray ($24.96 via Amazon and Walmart) and the slightly more expensive 4K steelbook ($34.99 also through Amazon and Walmart). Both physical formats are expected to arrive in October, too.

The seventh installment in the Mission: Impossible film franchise landed in theaters during the highly volatile summer of 2023. Films like Barbie, Oppenheimer and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse thrived during the tumultuous time, while others like The Flash were simply a train wreck. Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One clearly underperformed at the box office, and it’ll struggle to make a profit just with its theatrical numbers alone.

Mission: Impossible 7 Struggled at the Box Office

After earning $78.5 million over its five-day opening weekend in July 2023, the summer box office was not kind to Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One. Unfortunately, the film from director Christopher McQuarrie will struggle to turn a profit based only on its box office performance, despite having a current global gross of $563.7 million.

Advertisement

Thanks to a myriad of factors, including the COVID-19 pandemic, it cost nearly $300 million to make Tom Cruise’s latest adventure as IMF agent Ethan Hunt. And then there’s the additional cost of advertising and promoting the movie, which lands in the neighborhood of $100 million (per Variety). After that, it comes down to the percentage Paramount Pictures keeps from the profits and the amount they must split with theaters around the world. Depending on the deals and contracts in place, studios in the United States may only keep 60% of the box office take and the other 40% goes to the exhibitors.

So, if Paramount keeps 60% of Dead Reckoning – Part One’s $171.4 million domestic box office, that’s only $102.9 million that the studio pockets. Overseas the percentage that Paramount keeps would be in the 20% to 40% range (per Investopedia), which makes things even more difficult for Mission: Impossible 7 to clear a profit.

Crunching the numbers: Even if Paramount maintains the higher end of the international percentage (40%), that would mean the studio will only pocket $156.9 million of its $392.3 million haul overseas. Thus, Mission: Impossible 7 only cleared a worldwide take of $259.8 million. And with a total budget already in the $400-million range — those pesky taxes haven’t even been accounted for yet — Dead Reckoning Part One is theoretically in the hole $140 million.

Unfortunately, it’s more likely Dead Reckoning will lose money rather than make it. Despite the numbers, though, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part Two is still scheduled to hit theaters on June 28, 2024.

 

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement